Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Aurifil BOM , Spool Quilt

Can you hear me yipping it up , I am so ..... happy I have my Aurifil BOM 2014 , Spool Quilt completed , even a label has been attached !! I absolutely loved doing this quilt, I think it was the fabrics , I love these little 30's reproduction prints and I  JUST  had enough to complete it . As you may remember Tuesdays is quilting day for me at the church , well yesterday I was somewhat under the weather so didn't go , however the girls worked on my quilt and finished it up and then Gerrie dropped it off to me on her way home , yeah :-) Thanks Gerrie for dropping it off , I sure appreciated it .  I immediately cut some fabric for binding , had just enough of the fabric I had used for the narrow border and absolutely nothing else to use, so thankfully it was plenty with an inch to spare .
 I sewed the binding on then last night while watching a movie and The Voice  I hand sewed the binding down to the back of the quilt and voila , here is what it looks like .  Before you look don't you think that young Sawyer Fredricks has a lot of talent , I could listen to him all day .

Doesn't the quilting look wonderful . Those spools now pop right out , what a great way to showcase a block , I may use this again sometime . I braved the cold and went out to take a picture , it is only 5 C here today and the feel like temperature is only 1 C . so not exactly balmy and it is overcast, we had rain overnight . 
The grass is turning green , and things are improving , the snow is gone !! 
Here is a picture of the back , I don't normally share the back but since I pieced it with some extra blocks I thought it was worth sharing .
Two reasons for doing this , first I didn't have quite enough of the backing fabric , a piece that has been in my stash forever , and secondly I wanted to use these blocks , two of them were part of the Aurifil blocks for the year , the one on the top I just didn't care for and the one on the bottom was too big so I cut it down to fit here . The middle one was a basket block I made with the intention of using it on the front but once I made the embroidered block I didn't need it . 
Some other good news is my sampler quilt that is on my rack here at home is almost done too , just the top border to quilt now , should finish that up real soon . I best get the binding fabric cut for that one too .
 I must tell you I had a lovely day with my Mom , she was super surprised to see me and we enjoyed a beautiful meal at a local restaurant , so yummy . I gave her a large hanging basket of flowers to brighten up her area outside her apartment and my sister Jacqueline also gave her a beautiful basket so things are very bright and pretty . I was happy that Jacqueline and her daughter Danielle and Emma , Danielles daughter ,also arrived while I was there , we often miss each other on these quick trips . I will show you the passport wallet I made for mom along with some luggage tags .
I should have taken a picture of the wallet opened but sorry I forgot to do that . It has a few pockets and also a zippered pocket . We aren't going to Paris ,although that would be nice ,but I figured it was still great fabric for this use and she loved it .
I am linking up today to the Needle and Thread Network , been a while and just realized this is Wednesday .
 I better get back to quilting , our quilt show is coming up very soon and the pressure is on ;-) Thanks so much for stopping by today , hope you have a creative day .
 hugs Sheila  

20 comments:

  1. Your quilt is beautiful!! Congratulations on getting it finished! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous quilt!! Certainly worth a yip and a yowl - congratulations. Sounds like a lovely visit, sweet gifts, and Paris does sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing quilt - I just love the soft colours and the quilting does show off the blocks.
    Sounds like you had a good time at the weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like your new blog heading as well - forgot to mention it !

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful finish Sheila, I love the colors in it and I have a wonderful sample here from you. Your moms tags and wallet a nice combo ......another use for the wallet my phone fits in it perfectly, great for a grab and go with a little cash inside too of course.
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic finish. And the quilting is awesome.. Wish we had a group of ladies that all helped to hand quilt....
    Mum's travel set is lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt was fantastic! These reels are cheerful and beautiful! Amazing how it changes after the quilting! Congratulations!
    Gifts of his mother were very good!
    This way the flu (virus) nasty and mysterious evening event on electric street network that burned several of our devices.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's wonderful to see your quilt fiished Sheila - it's beautiful! I too love that colour palette. Great to hear that you had a good day with your Mum and sisters. The passport wallet and travel tags are goreous. Hope you're not under the weather for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous quilt and I can understand why you are delighted to have it finished!! The gifts you made for your mum are lovely and I am so glad you spent a lovely day together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is lovely Sheila! "Done" sure feels good, doesn't it? So nice that you were able to enjoy a visit with your Mom. I'm sure she loved her gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheila, your quilt is absolutely stunning! I adore the fabrics and the quilting shows it off so well! What a treat to get it delivered to you on a day you weren't feeling well. Congrats on your fabulous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very beautiful quilt. Love the gifts you made for your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohhhhh Sheila!!!! Your quilt is simply stunning!! I love the fabrics you used In it,and the softness of your hand quilting is fantastic! very lovely gifts You made your Mom too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sheila, your quilt is beautiful! I love how you pieced the back, too. That's an interesting passport wallet and tag, the fabric is great fun......even if it isn't going to Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  15. the quilt looks amazing, I just love how quilting brings it to life... wonderful .... love the wallet you made your mum too... I've done a few pieced backs and it is fun.... one is so pieced it's a two sided quilt...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is absolutely beautiful Sheila. Great to have it finished. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your spool quilt is a gem, and I agree, the quilting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The quilt is beautiful. I love the colors and completely agree. The quilting does make it pop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh la la! A fantabulous finish! I love everything about it! Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can anyone tell me where I can find the patterns for the 2014 BOM. I saw them as "spools". Is there a set of patterns available????

    ReplyDelete